In order to play Guild Wars, you will first need to purchase one of the following products from the Guild Wars store:
- Guild Wars® Complete Collection
- Guild Wars® Game of the Year Edition
- Guild Wars: Factions®
- Guild Wars: Nightfall®
- Guild Wars: Eye of the North®
Once you complete your purchase, you will receive an email with a serial code—a unique access key that will let you create an account, unlock the game, and begin your journey.
If you picked up a physical, boxed copy of the game, you will find your serial code printed on a paper insert inside the box.
Redeeming your Access Key
Once you have your serial code, follow the instructions below to download the game and register your Guild Wars account:
- Download the Guild Wars client.
- Run GwSetup.exe to install the Guild Wars client on your PC.
- Launch the game.
- When you reach the login screen, click the "Create Account or Add Access Key" link.
- On this screen, you’ll select whether you want to add an Access Key to an existing Guild Wars account or create a brand-new account. If you're creating a new account, check the box next to 'Create a new Guild Wars account' and click Next.
- Select your region, and then enter the 25-digit serial code in the empty fields. Double-check to ensure your code is correct before clicking Next to proceed.
- The next screen will display all the features and bonus items you're about to unlock on your account. Click Add Key when you're done reviewing the list.
- Next, enter your mailing address and region. This is a requirement in some areas of the world, and helps us verify ownership of the account if it is ever compromised or stolen. When you're done filling out the fields, click Next.
- Finally, select an email address and password for the account. These will become your login credentials, so be sure to make a note of them before clicking Create to complete the registration process.
- You're done!
- For information, tips, and tricks about Guild Wars, check out our official Guild Wars Wiki—a community-run resource where you can learn about the game from other players.
- Be sure to write down the name of the first character on your account; you'll need it the next time you log in!
- If you have any other questions or problems playing the game, search the knowledgebase for an answer to your question, then contact support if you still need help!
Frequently Asked Questions
I already have an account, but can't find my discs. How do I play the game?
If you already have a Guild Wars account but don't have access to your game discs, you can always download and install the Guild Wars client then log in with your account. You don't need your discs to launch or play the game!
How do I add an item or expansion I purchased to my account?
If you have purchased an item or upgrade you want added to your account, follow these instructions:
- At the login screen, click the "Create Account or Add Access Key" link.
- Check the box next to 'Add the Access Key to an existing Guild Wars account' and then enter your account name and password. Click Next when you're done.
- Now enter the 25-digit serial code into the empty fields. When you're certain it's typed correctly, click Next to proceed.
- The next screen will display the features you're about to unlock on your account. Click Add Key to finish the process.
- You're done!
How do I earn rewards for my Guild Wars 2 account?
With the release of Guild Wars: Eye of the North in 2007, we introduced the Hall of Monuments to the game. This special area commemorates all of your accomplishments in Guild Wars and unlocks exclusive titles, items, mini-pets, and animal companions in Guild Wars 2 when you link your Guild Wars account to an ArenaNet account.
You can track your Hall of Monuments progress using the Hall of Monuments Reward Calculator.
How do I link my Guild Wars account with an ArenaNet account?
You can learn all about linking your accounts over in this article.