With the release of Guild Wars 2 in 2012, we not only introduced new stories, accolades, and adventures to the world of Tyria, but an entirely new way to manage and play your games through a single, unified ArenaNet account. This is your personal access key to the world of Tyria: a master account that gives you the power to manage your information, protect your account, and access your games from anywhere!
While the original Guild Wars was built (and can still be played) as a standalone title, we highly recommend linking your Guild Wars account with an active ArenaNet account to enjoy all the perks it has to offer.
Benefits of linking your accounts
Here's just a few of the reasons why we recommend linking your Guild Wars account with an ArenaNet master account:
- One account; all of your games! Everything you purchase or unlock will be saved to your ArenaNet account: from the games and expansions you own to the items and progress you make as you play.
- One Login: With an ArenaNet account, you only need to remember one set of credentials to access all of your games; no need to remember a different login email and password for every game you own!
- Improved Security: ArenaNet accounts offer an extra layer of security known as authentication, which lets you monitor and protect your account from unauthorized logins.
- Exclusive Unlocks in Guild Wars 2: Perhaps best of all, Guild Wars: Eye of the North owners are able to unlock exclusive rewards in Guild Wars 2 through the Hall of Monuments. Your in-game accomplishments are chronicled in the Hall, and allow you to unlock exclusive titles, items, mini-pets, and animal companions in Guild Wars 2 when you link your accounts.
Linking Your Guild Wars and ArenaNet Accounts
Before You Begin
- IMPORTANT: Once you link a Guild Wars account to an ArenaNet account, they cannot be un-linked. Choose wisely and type carefully!
- You may only link a single Guild Wars account to a single ArenaNet account. Make sure you sign into the correct account(s) before linking them.
- You cannot link your Guild Wars 2 account to an NCSOFT Master Account (NCMA). If your account name currently ends in @ncsoft or @plaync, please contact support so an agent can update your account name to a valid email address.
Linking Your Accounts
If you haven't created an ArenaNet account, you will need to create one to begin the linking process. You can use any email address you'd like; in fact, it doesn't even have to be the same as your current Guild Wars account login!
NOTE: Whatever email you choose for your ArenaNet account will be the one you use to access ALL of your games when you're finished linking your accounts.
Once you're ready, follow these steps to link your accounts:
- Sign into the account management page using your ArenaNet account.
- Navigate to the Game Content tab.
- Click the Link A Guild Wars Account button at the bottom of the page.
- Enter your original Guild Wars account name and password exactly as you would if you were logging in to the game client.
- Click the Link Account button.
- You're done!
Frequently Asked Questions
I received a message saying, "A server error has been encountered..." when linking my accounts. What do I do?
First, ensure that you've entered the correct account name and password for the original Guild Wars account. If you still encounter the error, try resetting your password before restarting the linking process.
If you are unable to find a solution or encounter any other issues with the linking process, take a moment to contact support so we can help! Be sure to fill out the ticket fields as thoroughly as possible, since you will need to verify that you own both accounts before we can help merge them.
How can I change my account name (email address)?
If you haven't linked your accounts yet, you can update your login email by creating an ArenaNet account with the email address you want to use. Then follow the instructions above to link your accounts so you can use the new login email.
If you've already linked your accounts or want to update your ArenaNet account email, you will need to contact support with a request. Be sure to fill out the form as thoroughly as possible, including both your old and new (preferred) email address.
Can I change my Display Name?
When setting up your ArenaNet account, your username is combined with a randomly generated four-digit number to create your Display Name. This serves as a master identifier for your account: allowing users to add you to their social lists (friends, guild, block, etc.) and send you in-game mail, and serving as your forum identity when interacting on the official forum.
Unlike your email or password, we will only update Display Names under very specific circumstances. Changing your Display Name can have an adverse impact on your account: including your ability to chat, update your friends and social lists, and even play the game. To avoid these issues, we only make changes when a user's personal information or identity is at risk.
More about requesting a Display Name change can be found in this article.
Can I play my Guild Wars character in Guild Wars 2?
Guild Wars 2 is an entirely new game set in a different era from the original Guild Wars: with new professions and races, new technology, and expanded gameplay. As such, it is not possible to continue using an original Guild Wars character in Guild Wars 2.
That said, the Hall of Monuments can be used to unlock unique rewards in Guild Wars 2 based on the accomplishments and achievements of your original Guild Wars characters. If you own Guild Wars: Eye of the North, you can play through the story to learn more about how to enshrine your achievements.
How do I determine what rewards I've unlocked in Guild Wars 2 via the Hall of Monuments?
You can use the Hall of Monuments Reward Calculator to determine what rewards you've unlocked and what other items will be available to you in Guild Wars 2. Simply enter a character name to see what you've achieved!
If my Guild Wars account has been terminated, can I still use my Hall of Monuments progress for Guild Wars 2?
No. Once an account has been terminated, it cannot be accessed or linked to an ArenaNet account. Likewise—if the linked Guild Wars or Guild Wars 2 account is terminated—we cannot un-link the accounts so it can be re-linked to a new account.