Before you can access the game, forums, and other official sites in the Guild Wars ecosystem, you will need an ArenaNet account. This is your personal access key to the world of Tyria, and includes a number of unique identifiers that are exclusive to your account:
- Your Account Name: this is your login email. It’s what you use to access the game(s) you own and what we use to contact you with verification emails and game updates.
- Your Display Name: this is a unique name for your account created by combining the username you choose with a randomly generated four-digit number.
- Any Game Keys or Serial Codes you add to your account: every code you use can help us identify your account if we need to verify ownership. Save your game keys and gem cards!
If you already have an account, you can manage your settings and make changes on the Account Management site.
If you don't have an account, follow the steps below to create your new ArenaNet account and begin your adventures in Tyria!
Registering an ArenaNet Account
Once you have received your Access Key to play Guild Wars, follow these instructions to download, install, and register your Guild Wars account:
- Download the Guild Wars client.
- Run GwSetup.exe to install the Guild Wars client on your PC.
- At the log-in screen, click the "Create Account or Add Access Key" link.
- Enter your Access Key and follow the registration directions.
Guild Wars 2
Before you can begin playing Guild Wars 2—whether you want to try the game for free or have purchased a game key—you will need to create an ArenaNet account. You can do this by following these simple steps:
- Navigate to https://account.arena.net/register
- In the Email field, enter a valid email address.
- This is the email you will use as your Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 “Account Name,” which is used to access the game.
- This is also where we’ll contact you with emails from ArenaNet—including account messages and game updates.
- Note that you must enter a unique email address that is not already in use by another account.
- In the Password field, create a password you want to use for your new account.
- The password must be at least 8 characters long.
- For tips on choosing a strong password, visit this article.
- Confirm your password in the Reenter Password field.
- Enter a Display Name you’d like to use for your ArenaNet account.
- Your Display Name is a unique identifier for your account. It is created by combining the name you choose with a randomly generated four-digit number.
- Note that this is a public name which will be used on the leaderboards, in-game, and on the official Guild Wars 2 forums. You should avoid using any information you don’t feel comfortable sharing with the world.
- Note that your Display Name does not need to be unique; you can choose any name you want as long as it is doesn't violate our naming policy.
- If you've purchased Guild Wars 2, Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns, or Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, enter your serial code in the Game Serial Code field. If you'd just like to try Guild Wars 2 without purchasing, leave this field blank.
- For more information on the differences between account types, visit this article.
- Click Sign Up to finish creating your account!
You should now receive an e-mail confirming your registration. This e-mail will also contain a link to download the game client at account.arena.net/content.
LINKING YOUR GUILD WARS ACCOUNTS
If you have both a Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 account, you can link them to use the same login information and unlock exclusive titles, items, mini-pets, and animal companions in Guild Wars 2.
Instructions on how to link your accounts can be found in this article: